Best Friend Forever Login

To participate, register for Best Friend Forever access or login below:

Latest Release

Brad Sucks: Guess Who's a Mess album cover

Guess Who's a Mess, my third album. 10 tracks, instant downloads.

Not into albums?

Email Signup

Get the latest Brad Sucks updates:

Upcoming Shows

Blog

So I’m thinking about getting one of these suckers for my impending live shows:

It’s a DigiTech Vocal 300 Vocal Effects Processor Pedalboard. It seems pretty fun and would let me jazz up my stupid voice a bit, but it appears to totally lack decent patch management. There’s no way to copy patches, there’s no way to import or export them to a computer, and you can only scroll up and down through the patches.

For a live show this seems pretty limiting and difficult. “Oh man, my verse effect is on patch 1 and my chorus effect is on patch 20, best get stompin'”. And if I want to move my patch 20 to patch 2, I have to re-enter the patch manually as there’s no copy patch function. STUPID.

For $100 more I could get the newer DigiTech VX400 Modeling Vocal Processor with USB which has a copying function and some more effects, but also has a drum machine and two-way USB audio interface and a bunch of other crazy crap I don’t need.

I looked around for alternatives but there doesn’t seem to be anything worthwhile. I wish Boss would do a voice version of the GT6, with the awesome bank/patch selection, MIDI patch management and more foot pedals. But it looks like if I want to sing all my songs sounding like a chipmunk or a space alien or a monster, the DigiTechs are my only choice.

Posted on - May 22, 2004 [at] 2:49 pm by Brad
Tagged in -

14 Comments on this post

MikeyJ on Voice Processor
May 25, 2004 at 5:50 am

How ’bout this?

Includes realtime pitch correction for those “less than perfect” notes….not implying that you have any of those tho! ;-)

You could also get all those cool harmonies you do…

ken on Voice Processor
May 25, 2004 at 1:26 pm

Live pitch correction is for wusses.

I suggest using either a dedicated guitar processor (which gives you distortion – you might want that) or a combo rack-mounted effects processor with foot controller combo. Otherwise you end up with insufficient control. For instance – the TC unit doesn’t have an expression pedal for controlling delay time or level. I use an RP2000 from DigiTech.

MikeyJ on Voice Processor
May 25, 2004 at 7:44 pm

Well Ken, to each their own. Some people want/need to be purists about it and some just want to make good music and know that the audience is hearing a great performance. They don’t know or care if you’re applying a little bit of anything to your performance and the fact that you do it mostly for their benefit is what matters. If you try to use the TC to make yourself something you’re not, you’re in for trouble anyway. It’s like anything else, it’s a tool…use it as you wish. As far as realtime pitch correction goes, we’re not all incredible singers but we don’t suck either. Don’t tell me you’d be surprised to know that many songs you’re hearing out there today have vocal tracks that have been “Tuned and Comped”? BTW, the TC absolutely does support an expression pedal for realtime access to ALL parameters via MIDI or SYSEX….

ken on Voice Processor
May 25, 2004 at 8:12 pm

I’m not against using pitch correction on recorded material. It’s a composition, not a performance. But using it live has a number of drawbacks, not the least of which is that suddenly your audience isn’t really hearing *you* – they’re hearing a microprocessor’s “corrected” interpretation of you. I’d rather hear someone go a little out of tune at a live show; at least then I know they’re not lip-synching.

Good to know about the expression pedal. I suppose you could even hook up another MIDI controller altogether to allow for access to a wide variety of performance parameters. The cool thing about the RP2000 (now the GNX series) is that the pedal is built-in. And it’s quite a bit cheaper.

dave on Voice Processor
May 26, 2004 at 9:28 pm

I like it when things get… plugged in. Robot things. Computer voice things. Plug it all in for more power benefits. 1s + 0s = Beauty.
Say no to pedals and yes to powerglove virtual theremin control methods.

Mikey P on Voice Processor
July 12, 2004 at 7:44 am

There actually is a way to copy patches on the 300 – I was just corrected on this by a tech from digitech:

“For the record, any preset on the Vocal 300 or VX400 can be re-located in the User locations. The procedure is:
Dial up the desired preset.
Modify if you want.
Press STORE button twice.
Use the UP/DOWN footswitches to re-locate.
Press STORE again.

There is a printing error in the manual regarding this. A correction was posted on our FAQ section at http://www.digitech.com.”

I have used this to re-order all my patches in set order and it works fine.

PS: I love my vocal 300. You wont find a better unit for close to the same money. The VoiceLive looks pretty nice, but it doesnt do much for effects past reverb and delay and it retails for $800 USD. Looks liek more of a vocal harmonizer than an effects stompbox.

jye on Voice Processor
July 20, 2004 at 7:11 am

it is very easy to use, and what you do is u may need to make a few patches the same every five or so, for ur most used patch. and YES THERE IS A COPY FUNCTION. push it twice then slecect the patch number and push it again

Musicsymbiant on Voice Processor
October 20, 2004 at 2:26 am

My vocalist has constant feedback problems w/the digitech vx400. she uses a sure 58 through vx400, to a mixer, to poweramp, to PA.
we’ve tried external gates and a compressor. still feeback on vocal preset 41. we tried to check the levels throught the headphone jack on the vx400 and we actually heard the headphones acting as a transducer. yes you heard right, acting as a transducer. we even spoke in the the left headphone and ourvoice came out of the right…..anyone w/the same problem or advise on what to use in conjunction w/the vx400 for these issues please mail me back..Thanx guys!

MIkeyP on Voice Processor
April 20, 2005 at 11:49 am

Best bet is to read the topics on feedback in the Vocal 300 forums on the digitech support site.

Specifically my post on this one: http://www.digitech.com/soundcomm/vocal_view_thread.asp?productid=32&thread_id=1077335014

BRANEmedia on Voice Processor
February 19, 2007 at 2:57 pm

I just ran sound for a ban where the vocalist used the TC VoiceLive with tons of compression on it, thickening, and delay / chorus… and there was no feedback at all. We had 3 stage monitors cranked in front of him, and he ran out into the audience in front of the very loud mains quite a bit .. no problems.

Kevin on Voice Processor
February 21, 2009 at 1:35 am

i’ve been using the 300 now for awhile and I have to say it was a great investment. People complain all the time about Feedback and lack of Patches. The whole point of this machine is to give you a blank canvas and let you create what you think sounds good. And with some trial and error, you can learn how to tweak it to the sound you desire. I got all kinds of feedback when I first started using it, but after I learned how to adjust my gain, eq, and levels, I had no issues. Basically never use the preset patches, they are garbage. They are a great representation of the kind of sounds you can utilize on the machine, but levels are all different and the wet is cranked up on many of the patches. I admit that they’re are tons of better vocal processors out there, and perhaps you don’t have to tweak them outta the box, but for 100 bucks, and a little time and knowledge you have something that rivals even the much more expensive units. I can make a very good sounding patch and tweak it to the sound I want in about a minute, and I never get feedback at any of the gigs I play.

Kevin on Voice Processor
March 3, 2009 at 8:01 pm

Oh and guys just for a little added note I found a very good method for eliminating humming or buzzing you may get straight through a PA system when using a vocal 300. First buy yourself a passive direct box. Otherwise called a DI Box. Make sure it has a Ground lift Switch on it. You can find these boxes usually at any music store, or musiciansfriend.com. To hook it up I used a standard mike cable with an XLR to 1/4″ adapter. Plug the xlr mike cable to the vocal 300 then use the adapter on one end to plug into the input on the DI Box. Then take a standard XLR mic cable out to your PA. Make sure your ground lift switch is on, and woot! no hum. Not only did it eliminate all hum I got from the vocal 300, but Afterward I could crank my gains up on the 300, and PA with no feedback. Cost me about 30 bucks for the cable adapter and the DI Box.

Brando on Voice Processor
January 27, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I ahve been using the VX 400 for about 6 years now and it is fantastic. I bought 3 more as backups because they dont make them anymore. I program the effects in order that my setlist is, its super simple to shufle them around with the copy feature.

rosetta stone erfahrungen on Voice Processor
May 16, 2012 at 5:07 pm

A person necessarily assist to make critically articles I’d state. That is the very first time I frequented your web page and to this point? I surprised with the analysis you made to make this particular publish incredible. Excellent task!

Comments are closed on this post.